Monday, November 2, 2009

#3 School!

Of course this is a really big one for me.
If you have known me for very long at all, you will know that being a teacher has, quite literally been a life-long dream for me. Well, I am currently on my third and FINAL attempt at getting a college degree.
I, of course, first began this adventure in the fall of 1992. To sum that experience up quickly:
May - graduated HS
June - dumped by boyfriend who insisted I go to college with him in Lewiston
July - Moved into my first apartment in Lewiston got part-time job
Aug - Started school with 21 credits
Oct - Dropped 6 credits
Nov - Had screaming match with creative writing/poetry teacher (dropped 3 more credits)
Dec - Went home for Christmas, got report card, received 9 credits, decided college could wait.
(The good news being that when I went back to Lewiston to close out that chapter of my life after Christmas, I met my beloved - Troy)
My second attempt at college came when I was about 26. I took two classes and did quite well, but it just wasn't the right time to really pursue a degree. The kids were little and Troy wasn't really on board.

So - attempt #3
I am a full time student taking 15 credits. I am loving every minute of it! The schedule that I have allows a good amount of time for me to do my homework without cutting into family time. I am pulling A's and B's in every class. (might be all A's if I hadn't gotten hit with this illness) Best of all, Troy is totally behind it! He is as excited as I am, and together we've been able to look at the big picture and what this degree will mean to our future!
If I work hard, I'll have this degree before my 40th birthday. Christian will just be graduating HS and Mackenzie just starting. This really seems to be the best time to be doing this. I am so glad that God's timing is so much better than mine!
I have to thank all of my friends and family who have been so encouraging to me in this big adventure. It has really made a huge difference! I have felt your prayers and am bolstered by the confidence that you all have in me!

No comments: