Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Of Marriage and Metaphors

Some day I will write a book, I think, with a title something like, "Marriage is a giant elk head hanging on my living room wall!"

I am an impressionist art loving, poetry reading, singer, actress, writer, former anti-war pacifist; born in California's Bay Area on the brink of the silicon era. From my toddler years on, my dreams have been of teaching, writing, travelling the world to experience new cultures and traditions. In my youth, I imagined my adult years would be spent on university campuses all over the world discussing great literature, opening the worlds eyes to the beauty of Shakespere's sonnets and Whitman's poiniancy.
I would never have gone so far as to quit shaving my legs or going braless, and I know I could never have given up meat, or tied myself to any trees in protest. Yet somehow, I really never

ever

ever

ever

ever

pictured myself

laying on my couch...

in my house...

in Idaho....

staring up

at the head of an enormous bull elk protruding from the middle of my living room wall!

"This is compromise at its best." I thought as I laid there trying to accept this new addition to my home - while staring right into its nostrils.

In just less than 14 years, I have gone from being the afore mentioned wanna-be peace child to....

Troy's wife!

Now is when it is absolutely imperative that I stress the fact that I love my husband, live for the children we have together, and wouldn't trade my life for all the poetry circles in the world!

Still, I wonder: If I can trade Simon and Garfunkel for Big and Rich, Flojos for Ropers, Shakespere in the Park for UFC Fights, Hemmingway for McMannus and store bought beef for home-butchered elk!!!!!!!!!.....................

How is it that my husband - whom I love dearly remember - is still the military-minded, country music loving, levis and t-shirt wearing, snowmobile and four wheeler riding, master hunter that I met in 1993?

"Maynard? (that is what Troy's mother named the elk)" I ask him. "How on Earth did you get here?" Then more to the point, "How on Earth did I get here?"
I don't mean here as in Idaho. I made that choice for myself. I mean specifically here under Maynard's nostrils?

Time to explore the meaning of marriage and compromise!



More to Come!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

SOOOO many things to say. But I am still laughing. Because there are times when I go, Huh??? When I look at where I am at. Glad you are blogging again. I've missed you!